The District of Hebron
The settlement of Bayt Guvrin was established
on village lands in 1949. A mosque, a shrine, and a number of houses are
all that remain. It is surrounded by wild vegetation. Some of the houses
are inhabited by Israelis, while others are deserted. One of the houses
has been converted into an Israeli restaurant and outdoor café,
bearing the Arabic name al-Bustan (“the garden”). Because of its rich antiquities,
the surrounding area has been made into a tourist attraction.