Along with 'Ayn Ghazal and Jaba', Ijzim was part of a triangular region south of Haifa that held out under Israeli attack until late July 1948. The History of the War of Independence notes that these "daring and stubborn" villages "did not merely stand fast, but continued to block our transportation along the coastal road". Israel established the settlement of Kerem Maharal on the village site in 1949. The village has been partially destroyed. The mosque has been allowed to deteriorate, but several houses are still in use. The meeting house (diwan) of Mas'ud al-Madi, which is a two-story structure dating to the eighteenth century, has been converted into a museum. The school has been turned into a synagogue and the café into a post office.